My father died when I was eight (1975), and some of the most vivid memories I
have are of him and his camera equipment - his beloved Pentax Spotmatic SP (which
will always be my favorite body, no matter what) and a variety of oddball screw
mount lenses.

I used to tag along with him when I was five or six, going down to the local
camera store to see all the hot equipment roll in. His buddy had opened the
first of what is now a chain of 14 stores in Oregon, and Dad used to fill in
for him behind the counter when he needed to run errands. Lots of laughs and
losing bills in Liar's Poker.

Dad left me his camera gear, and that is what I use (although I just added the
PZ-1p and 28-70/4...still feeling a bit guilty about it). His Spotmatic is very
rough around the edges, but I'll go down next month and drop $155 at the shop
he used to support for a CLA...I'll shed a tear or two when I get it back, imagining
the thrill he got from it in tip-top shape - our hands on the same body, playing
with the solid feel of his SMC Takumar 85/1.9, our eyes looking with wonder
and joy through the same viewfinder.

I'm a Pentax guy - just like Dad.

Marc

WVI WEBMAIL - http://www.wvi.com