On Jul 26, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Bob W wrote:
>

>>> http://www.redribbonphotography.net/
>>>
>>> Read the last paragraph in the white text. Say's it all.
>>
>> it's a low-res jpeg - people couldn't make a decent quality print from it.
>> The guy is using it as an enticement to draw people into print sales or paid
>> commissions. Makes good commercial sense.
>
> The problem Dave had was that people *were* printing the low-res
> JPEGs, quality be damned. And then other people would see them and
> think "that photographer sucks..."

People's perception of cost of things has changed.  It used to be expensive, or
at least difficult to make copies of photos, or music, these days it can be
done effectively for free. And, it's going to get worse as kids who grew up
with digital copies grow up.  I hope that people still consider someone's time
worth something, which would make it possible to sell "photography", even if
it's tough to sell "photographs".

The problem you run into there is even a newbie with a Canon Rebel and a kit
lens can get photos that are good enough to satisfy someone who would make an
8x10 print off a 640x480 jpeg.  Even worse are the talented amateurs who 20
years ago might have been able to make a living at photography, who basically
do event photography for the ego gratification of people telling them how great
their photos are.

I suspect that "red ribbon photography" falls somewhere between the two.