Not a bad try frank.  Soon you'll be selling your soul for a 500/4 or 600/4 :-)

Those little bastards move so fast it's like trying to photograph electrons.

The best advice I can give you is to watch them for a while.  Birds are
creatures of habit and will return to the same perch over and over again in the
course of an hour or so. Watch as they hop from one perch to the next in the
same order over and over again.  Pick the perch with the best background and
angle and just focus on that spot.  Stare at it through the viewfinder ignoring
the little guys as they tease and mock you from other perches.  Then as soon as
one hits the perch, fire off as many frames as you can. That's how i got some
of my favorite shots like this one:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bNuA-oAASYY/SXZe0S7BO8I/AAAAAAAAAB4/8FtMwrSKfss/s1600-h/black-crested_titmouse_IMG_1866.jpg

Christian
http://404notfound.blogspot.com