That is British propaganda.

Just what the British did in Ireland alone, for so many centuries,
should keep them from criticizing "continentals."  Then there was
Scotland, and Wales.  Right here in my home town, they burned down the
courthouse and the church, because the people here were Dutch
Americans instead of English.  They committed brutal war crimes in the
Carolinas during the Revolutionary War.

Look at China, where they forced opium on a nation just to maintain
their tea fix.  The Indian subcontinent was given even harsher
treatment.  Their invasion of Russia, after the communist revolution,
contributed greatly to the paranoia that controlled Soviet foreign
policy for 75 years.

The British started the whole nonsense about "the white man's burden."
 Now, they criticize the Belgians for following their lead?  I don't
buy it.  There is no excuse for what Belgium did in the Congo.  That
was dreadful, but actually quite limited in time and territory to what
Britain did, all over the globe, with such masterful administrative
skill and military overkil, for cfenturies.

Dan