Paul Dunderdale wrote:

Crumpets are a North(west) of England thing.  They are made from a yeast batter, and cooked in such
a way that the upper surface is pitted with holes (from the fermentation).  Mum always says that
crumpets should be served "with an egg in every hole".  She served them with an excess of
butter (they don't so much soak up more butter as act as a sump (the vertical holes....) and a
lightly poached egg (hence the "egg (yolk) in every hole"

The crumpets that brave the Irish Sea and arrive at my table are a pale shadow
of those delectable Crumpets Of My Youth.  I have tried to make my own, but
haven't yet achieved adequacy.  There are hidden depths to crumpets.  I'm sure
Cotty would concur.....

Paul

Try using sodium bicarbonate instead of yeast. A blini recipe, using ordinary flour instead of bulgur wheat flour, might work.