As much as I enjoy this, I probably should 'fess up.  A friend of a
friend had a K7 and kindly let me try it with my own SD card.  I tired
exactly what Mis. mentioned, i.e., I took a few correctly exposed
shots at 1600, 3200, and 6400.  I was more than satisfied in that I
probably won't try anything worse than that. (I can only imagine what
the Kx can do if this is what people consider unacceptable.) This
being said, I hadn't realized how much the K7 was similar in form
factor to the D/DS with some extra weight.  I also tried some
difficult exposure situations and was pleasantly surprised as how god
it was.  That is probably more important to me than the really high
iso performance.  At least for now.  BTW, I think Mis and Boris both
have legitimate points.  One big difference is always what the shooter
considers acceptable, and, as they say, there is no dispute in matters
of taste.

My K7 will arrive today.  Thanks for all the advice folks.  I am giddy
in anticipation.
--
Steve Desjardins