Toralf Lund wrote:
Christine Nielsen wrote:
Greetings, all---

Today, I enabled myself with the Pentax smc FA 100mm 2.8 macro lens.
Funny thing is,  it happened kind of by accident... I thought I was
purchasing the DFA 100mm 2.8 macro (the non-WR version), but it turns
out I overlooked the missing "D" when I placed my order. Whoops. [ ... ]

What I wonder is this:  what am I missing out on because of my
shopping cart mix-up?  (Besides the price difference...)  I'm not sure
I understand the difference between the DFA & FA designations...  Are
there other features of either lens that I should consider before I
declare this one a keeper?
I think the DFA version is supposed to be "optimised for digital" (whatever that means - slight modifications of the coating, perhaps), but without changes to the basic optical formula, as far as I understand. It does not have the focus limiter fix of the FA.
Typing way too fast, again. I meant to say limiter *switch*...

- Toralf
It is much smaller and lighter, which I suppose may be convenient. On the other hand, the FA probably feels a lot more like a "real lens", and you can drop it on the pavement from a fair height without breaking anything, or at least that's true for the similar F-version, which I have (yes, I've tried...)

- Toralf

Thanks,
-c