On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> Nice shot.  What's illegal about racing bicycles?

On city streets in traffic?  Gee, I dunno...

;-)

These aren't like sanctioned road races or criteriums where roadways
are closed off and all city permits and appropriate insurance policies
are arranged for.  They're a bunch of couriers and other urban
cyclists racing from checkpoint to checkpoint (any route can be taken,
the checkpoints can be done in any order) in traffic, on sidewalks,
doing the usual messenger illegal activities (blowng red lights and
stop signs, on sidewalks, wrong way down one-way streets).

Word of these races goes out "along the grapevine" (which means
facebook these days) and messenger-friendly businesses (usually bike
shops and coffee shops) donate prizes for the winners.  Sometimes it's
winner-take-all (as it sadly was during my most glorious race last
summer when I finished second).

They're fun but I don't do them any more - one summer was enough.

And they're illegal for the above-reasons.

Thanks for the comment, and thanks to everyone else who looked and commented.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson