Got to the park, set up, (that means sitting on a bench and turning the camera around to shoot as I carry it upside down on it's strap so it doesn't bang into doorways and nearby walls) and start shooting. Couple of shots of dogs playing 5 feet away from me, zip zip - sharp focus. Took another shot about 25 feet away — that didn't look so sharp… Another about 6 feet away — ok - that looked sharp didn't it? Woah. Now there's a pooch running and coming at me… Nothing.

Removed and reset lens on body with power off. Power on. Prefocused lens so it could follow action. Nothing. Went through everything I could think of, moving switches on camera body and lens that would affect focusing. Nada. By the time I got home the batteries were indicating half charge, both of them. Mounted the DA* 16-50 ƒ2.8 to see if low voltage was the problem. Nope - it focused fine, and fast, even in room light after dark. So does the DA* 60-250 ƒ4.0.

I'll finish this paragraph after both batteries are charged. I know one should do, but if it's sticky, the amps of two might free it. This could take all night -

On Oct 4, 2010, at 17:01 , John Sessoms wrote:

From: Boris Liberman
On 10/3/2010 6:41 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:
> The discussion seems to have become about Pentax, or any other
> manufacturer for that matter, unilaterally extending warranty on product > with a /very/ large number of defective samples. The contract on the
> card is no longer in question. Pentax has been honoring that. It's
> really become a question of how much is the customers good will worth.
> I'd really like to get a DA 17-70mm. But from all accounts that
> particular lens is poorly designed from a manual focusing standpoint, > making reliable auto focus a must. The SDM controversy just becomes one
> more reason for my money to stay in my pocket.
Peter, since you're talking about post-warranty period and substantial
number of defective units, I wonder, what would have to happen for
Pentax to be legally forced to admit that they "dropped an egg" like
Bill Robb keeps saying???

It varies by jurisdiction depending on consumer protection laws, but Pentax cannot afford for it to get to that point. Pentax has always had a reputation for quality and good value for the money. If they lose that reputation, and that is a real possible consequence of not adequately addressing perceptions about SDM reliability - doesn't matter if they're real or imagined - they're in trouble.

If Pentax's customers lose the perception that Pentax offers superior value, they will no longer be Pentax's customers.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug a camera.”
–Lewis Hine