Dave, few points totally randomly popped in my mind.

1. I know for the fact that certain international corporation having 250 thousand employees has a special storage where they keep not just the data but also the hardware of the same era the data was produced in order to be able to access the data if necessary. This was the question with which they approached the team I worked with at the time - can we provide them with sufficient knowledge so that they could take our system apart and put it in that storage.

2. During the film days... Well, exactly which film days? Before the commonly available film scanners or after that? Indeed, if you work in the dark room only - all you need is chemicals, which develop (no pun intended) but at slower pace than more modern tech. But if you're talking about hybrid process where film photos are scanned and processed on a computer, then the same question applies. Obviously you would want a stronger computer (so that you can take higher resolution scans) with stronger software so that you can take out the dust and hair and other particles automatically for you without damaging the underlying picture, etc.

Personally, I upgrade my computer effectively when the time it takes to process my stuff becomes unbearably long. Presently rather outdated by modern standard dual core cpu with 8 gb ram does the job very nicely for me. I keep upgrading my software properly. For example, I follow updates of LightRoom and when 3.0 came out I bought an upgrade just like I did when 2.0 came out like just I did when 1.0 came out with only exception that with 1.0 it wasn't an upgrade, but an initial buy.

So, I suppose, indeed, from time to time one would have to update their photography accessories, such as computer or printer if they print at home.

Boris