I may not be the best person to explain the difference, but I'll try. The difference is subtle.

In "When I say to you" -- the word "to" indicates that "I" am communicating with "you" particularly.

In using "When I'm saying you", there's no indication that anyone in particular is being addressed. For example, "Believe me when I'm saying nice things" -- I could simply be trying to emphasize that when I say nice things, I mean it -- and I could be saying nice things to anyone, and mean it just as much.

On the other hand, if I were to say, "Believe me when I say to you that you're beautiful" ... the difference is that I'm trying to emphasize a personal connection with you ... the person I'm actually speaking to.

I should point out that, in conversational English, you'd almost never hear it spoken that way by a native speaker. Most often, people would say, "Believe me when I *tell* you" rather than "Believe me when I *say to* you", which I can only imagine being used in song lyrics or poetry for the purpose of phrasing and meter.

I hope that helps somewhat, and hasn't caused you even more confusion.

Best,

Walt

Contact Me Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/walt.gilbert>Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/walt_gilbert/>Twitter <http://twitter.com/walt_gilbert>

--- @ WiseStamp Signature <http://my.wisestamp.com/link?u=ypgdb385pypw7fhb&site=www.wisestamp.com/email-install>. Get it now <http://my.wisestamp.com/link?u=ypgdb385pypw7fhb&site=www.wisestamp.com/email-install>