Unfortunately not a new phenomenon.
I ran into this years ago when the PZ1P was still current. I needed the film advance motor to be replaced. I was told by Pentax repair in Colorado that they had no replacement available & had no idea when one was due. After waiting a few months I told them to replace the body (it was still under warranty) and viola a replacement motor magically found its way into my PZ1P !

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Roshchin" <s...@komkon.org>
Subject: Pentax 17-70 repair -- on PARTS HOLD

Earlier this month, I sent my 17-70/4 zoom for repair (while it was still
under warranty, - before the end of the 1st year).
It had problems focusing on the long end of the focal length, -
AF (and I couldn't get the focus confirmation when focusing manually).

I just spoke with the service center, and they told me that
they are waiting for the parts (the circuit board), and Pentax
has no ETA for its arrival.
I also spoke with the Pentax Support, but they haven't given any
estimates either.

1. I wonder what is happening with PEntax that they don't have even ETA
for their parts.

2. I wonder if this problem (or more likely, - the absence of the
circuit boards) can be related to the infamous SDM problem.

Igor