It varies from one state to the next, and from one jurisdiction (district or circuit level) to the next. In some cases, it's up to the judge's discretion, and in others, it's the jury's. State courts have a huge degree of autonomy, even down to the very basis of legal precedent -- in most US states, law is based on British common law, whereas, in Louisiana, it's French common law.

-- Walt

On 12/11/2010 1:41 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
It's my understanding (in some cases I know to be correct) that in USA civil
cases, court costs and attorney's fees are included in the award. How common
this is, is not known to me.

Jack

--- On Sat, 12/11/10, Walter Gilbert<ldott...@gmail.com>  wrote:

From: Walter Gilbert<ldott...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: I Wish
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List"<pdml@pdml.net>
Date: Saturday, December 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
  It's my understanding that, in the
British system, unlike in the US, the loser of the case is
responsible for the legal fees and court costs of the
winner.  That would tend to make their system more
workable, an d would almost certainly make them more likely
to foot the bill for the highest-paid law firm in Detroit,
knowing they wouldn't have to pay for the other guy's
representation if they lost.

Of course, my understanding could be way off-base. But, it seems like I read that somewhere.

-- Walt