I have the same issue with the images coming out pretty dark, but I always just assumed that had more to do with the brightness of the LCD. I turn that down as far as I can to give me a reasonable expectation of what my shot's going to look like, though it's still considerably brighter than the images are out-of-camera.

As for the auto-focus issue, I've always used spot focusing in AF-S, and then recompose once I get the focus indicator. It is tough to get used to if you've ever used one with focus indicators, but fortunately, I'd only used one camera for a very brief period of time that had them -- a friend's Canon Digital Rebel.

As for camera shake, I gather that is a bit of a problem for some K-x users, but I've always just compensated in crappy conditions by shooting in shutter priority at around 1/8 second or faster and put it in ISO-auto mode, which seems to do the trick for me.

Then, tell her to get ready to pull her hair out when she starts using any manual primes. :-)

It did take me a while to get used to the camera, but I do love it. My only beef with it is the over-brightness of that LCD now.

Best of luck!

Walt