That's the internet for ya.
CW

On 12/26/2010 9:59 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
I mentioned that when I got home from my trip I found several emails in
my inbox indicating that my "Gawker account" was compromised. Funny
thing about it was I didn't even know I had a "Gawker account".

But I followed up using the tools recommended and sure enough my email
address came up as one of those compromised.

I couldn't get any other information about this "Gawker account" to help
me figure out which if any of my passwords might be compromised, so I've
ended up changing every password for any online account associated with
my email address.

Still couldn't get any help from Gawker, other than advice to change the
password on my "Gawker account" ... which I still didn't know anything
about.

After a lot of digging and flailing around, including installing a
torrent viewer so I could download the file the hackers published online
with the information from Gawker's user database in order to search it
for my email address, I discovered that I indeed do not have a "Gawker
account".

Someone else has a Gawker account using my email address that I knew
nothing about, and Gawker could not be bothered to verify the email.

I'm really pissed.

As far as I'm concerned, Gawker behaved negligently allowing someone
else to use my email address as identification; allowing a someone to
register an account with my email address and failing to verify the
email or obtain my permission to use my email address for that account.

They have inconvenienced me and done me grievous harm by their negligence.