> http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/0
> 1/cam
> > era-of-the-year-2010.html
>
> The above led me to this at the same site.
> http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_i
> ndex.html
> There is some discussion about what her status should be in the realm
> of photography.

When I first saw her work after the link was posted here I thought about
that question. The other 'discovered too late' photographer who came to my
mind is not Atget but E J Belloq and also Lartigue.

I think that Ken Tanaka is wrong to say "Maier can never be recognized [...]
mainly because she worked in utter isolation and influenced nothing in her
time" because she may influence people now that she has been discovered, if
her work has enough that is new.

Similarly I think he is wrong to say "That is, her work is outstanding but
not important in the historical narrative of photography". I think it's too
early to tell - we haven't seen enough of the stuff yet, and we haven't seen
it for long enough to see what, if any, impact it might have.

My view is that she probably _will_ become an interesting footnote, rather
like Belloq, but Belloq's work has been influential and it is important.

If she had been 'in the game' at the time the other great Chicago
photographers were then it would have been a different story altogether.