Snow and ice again in northern Georgia:
http://cwaters.smugmug.com/photos/1152605696_dsW9H-L.jpg

It's been quite a while since I posted an image here. Some of you have seen many more photos from me on Facebook over the last year. That's mainly because it's so damned easy to snap a shot with my phone and upload it on the spot.

Also, I haven't had many opportunities this year to get out of town. Vacations allow me to get out of pattern, usually presenting me with new places, faces, and stuff I want to remember (inspiration). I'll totally be carrying my K10 through Disney World, or the museums in Washington D.C. but not so much on my daily trip to work, you see.

My 2010 production was so lean that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pick ANYTHING to submit for the PDML Annual. Fear not though, dear readers, for I did find a few images I'm proud of and submitted three this morning.

This image was taken with the W90 I recently picked up second hand. I figured it would be nice to have a small rugged camera to carry around when I didn't want the bulk of the K10 kit. A few weeks into ownership and aside from the underwater stuff, I'm not sure what it does that my Motorola Droid2 doesn't do. In fact, the camera apps I have for the Droid do LOTS of cool stuff this P&S won't.

The W90 has a lanyard and belt clip, it's more shock and water resistant, it's a cooler color than the Droid (green), it has lots of shooting "modes" (the image was made with "Surf and Snow" mode), and it does make cool time-lapse movies. I'm pretty sure the image quality is better, though I've seen some less than encouraging images so far. I'm not making a judgment about IQ just yet as I haven't used it enough to know that I'm not just doing it wrong.

It does NOT, however share with facebook, SMS, email, or upload the photos with a few strokes of the fingertip. And this is where I'm not sure it makes much sense to carry it around in addition to my phone. Maybe an Eye-Fi card would help but I don't think P&S cameras are destined to be around too long if they don't get web access somehow. How does a camera that costs what this one does and is marketed like it is not have GPS?

I guess where I'm at so far is that for day to day situations where I'm just at work or whatever, the phone is already on me so I don't need to carry another camera. If I'm going out somewhere that I'd like a little better image quality but don't want to carry the K10, I guess that's when I'll clip the W90 on.
I'm sure I wouldn't pay full price for one though.

Cory