Database management used to be Oracles forte, now it's error messages...

On 1/17/2011 3:52 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
[rant]

I got a response to my "help request" from when I created my Oracle
account to register Open Office.

My request:
Page asks you to create a user name. Page does NOT indicate the user
name must be in the form of an email address.

If the user name must be an email address, the page should TELL the
registrant to use an email address,  instead of creating an error
condition.

I wrote them that the instructions for creating the account should tell
the prospective customer the "username" has to be an email address so
they wouldn't try to create an invalid "username" and get an error
message when they clicked "submit".

Their response:

we made this error message in order to inform customers that they
will not be able to create a non-email format username

Well, DUH! Why not "inform the customer" *BEFORE* they create their
username. Then they won't get the error message.

It's an on-line front end for a database. If the field requires special
formatting that is not patently obvious (like, for instance, "username"
MUST be an email address), the instructions should tell the person
filling in the form what to put into that field, you know, like a ... email address.

If you tell 'em up front it has to be an email address, 99-44/100% of the "customers" will never see the error message.

I mean, what is Oracle Corporation's forte? Database management, right?

Does a screw-up like this, and their oblivious inability to even
understand the problem, really inspire confidence?

[end rant]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.