On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 04:10:30PM -0500, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: eckinator

> >true. and detain me for 24 hours before they have to convince a DA
> >that they have a case. I'm OK with that. Just not with their ludicrous
> >notions of their own rights and powers.

> >right. however, afaik there are similar cases were people were
> >sentenced or at least incriminating evidence of police misconduct was
> >suppressed. I'll try and find them for you.
> >

> Keep in mind a conviction is not necessarily the final disposition
> of such a case.
>
> Often when the accused is convicted at the lowest level of the court
> where the charges are first heard, he/she has to appeal the
> conviction and it is over-turned in a higher level court.

Also, rather significantly (IMO), the accused was *not* "acquitted
of all charges" - he was released without any charges being filed.

That often happens when the first-level sanity check (the DA,
public prosecutor, or whatever) thinks that the cops were wrong.

Unfortunately, you can still be arrested (and held for up to 24
hours) for nothing other than "contempt of cop". And while you
have to be released or charged, there are all sorts of interesting
loopholes when it comes to getting your property back.

A case that's just making headlines again here in the SF Bay Area
mentioned in passing that a suspect who was arrested, but never
charged, was still (several years later) without his car, which
had been impounded as evidence in an ongoing investigation.