On 2011-01-26 12:33 , Jeffery Smith wrote:
I just got switched from AT&T to Cox Internet service. They gave me a non-WiFi
modem, so I tried to connect it up with one of my three previous Wi-Fi routers
(Belkin, Apple, Cisco), and could get all three of the WiFi routers to work but not
one of them will attach me to the Internet (through wireless or through an ethernet
wire from the back). If I go directly from the back of the Cox modem to my Mac, the
internet comes up. For some reason, my WiFi routers cannot seem to get the Internet
signal from the modem. I tried 4 different ethernet wires (between modem and
router) just to make sure that wasn't the problem. And I did make sure that the
modem was connected to the right ethernet connection (ingoing, not outgoing).

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? All three routers do make a
connection with my computers, but no Internet signal is detected.

it could be any of a few things; have you double-checked the basics? for one thing, the ethernet cable should go from the modem to the WAN port on your router

if the modem is keyed to only admit one MAC (not "Mac") address, you'll need to spoof that address on your router; also check how the modem is configured -- if the modem is doing DHCP you may need to set your router to bridge mode; you may also want to check the DNS settings on the router and reset them to Cox's DNS servers if they are set to the old AT&T numbers (not needed if you are using something like OpenDNS or Google DNS)