On 2011-03-02 01:23 , John Sessoms wrote:
Because I also have duplicate file names. I have different files on
different drives that have the same names, but they're not the same image.

a simple solution to avoiding name conflicts is not to rename anything, but to store files in folders YYYY/MM/DD (YYYY\MM\DD in DOS-speak); LightRoom or Aperture can do this for you automatically; that would probably also ease any manual inspection of images for particular dates that you want to do