On 3/11/2011 8:52 AM, AlunFoto wrote:
Interesting essay.
On one hand he advocates not to persist at something you're not good
at, in order to spend time doing things that brings you more sense of
achiement. On the other hand, all his examples revolve around monetary
reward as the sole gauge of achievement.

Shoots his own logic in the foot, in my opinion.

Jostein

Jostein, are you trying to say that basically one has to have criteria for everything: how successful one is, does one enjoy doing whatever they are doing, how difficult it is to persevere on a given subject, is there any gain from persisting, etc.

Looks a bit like an egg and a turkey kind of question. So, I take snow scenes pictures (well, I don't, but just to flow with the underlying motif) and it does not come out right. Do I have to keep taking them? Well, may be, if I know that throughout the year (provided, I am not living in one season over whole year climate zone) I take other pictures, say of similar grand motif, a.k.a. landscape and they turn out good. May be I just enjoy the process of shooting out in the cold snowy weather. They may not sell, I may delete them afterwards... Am I actually trying to compete face to face with well known and established artists of the genre?

Or perhaps I am missing the point entirely here...

Boris