My 645D is currently in Belgium for realignment of the mirror and/or
matte screen position. There was a mismatch between viewfinder focus
and AF focus. The AF was correct, so it took me a while to realise
there actually was a problem. It was negligable at normal focal
lenghts, noticeable at 300mm, and a true nightmare for macro focusing.

According to the repair guy, mirror/matte misalignment is one of the
most common problems with both Nikon and Pentax in general (those are
the only brands he repairs), and that it is an easy fix on most
cameras. However, he said, he was not allowed to do his magic on the
645D. The camera had to go to a contracted repair shop authorised by
Pentax. Since I really trust the skills of our local repair guy,
that's a downer. The good news is that he told me he has a special
padded suitcase with prearranged express delivery reserved for the
645D. There is apparently also a policy to keep workshop time down to
max 3 days.

To me this sounds like the kind of pro-grade service arrangement that
we have often lamented the lack of. I guess Pentax would really shoot
themselves in the foot if no such thing was arranged for the 645D, but
it can't hurt to spread the rumor of its actual excistence either.

If the camera is back in my hands before Easter, I may even resort to
being impressed. :-)

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/