Stan Halpin wrote on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:25:56 -0700

> Meg and I will probably be buying at least one pair of binoculars for
> birding.
> Something in the $250-500 range - i.e., quite a bit better than the $40-50
> compact everyday binocs we have now, but not anything in the $1000+ "serious
> birder" category.
>
> My inclination to brand loyalty tells me to buy Pentax, all other things
> equal.
> But the few reviews I have found (e.g., in Cornell's birding magazine) put
> Pentax toward the bottom of the list. And I don't want to buy a clearly
> inferior product just for the Pentax name.
>
> So, anyone here with experience with Pentax binoculars? Can you provide any
> comparisons with other brands in the same price range? Can you convince me
> that
> I should (or should not) go for a Pentax? Note that I am not that concerned
> with the price as long as it is in my general price range; if there is a
> Pentax
> model that costs $499 that is equivalent in features and performance to
> something else that costs $349, I would probably buy Pentax. I just don't
> want
> to pay the same or more for the Pentax if it is clearly inferior. And I don't
> have any local stores where I can go and see and try out any of those I am
> thinking about.
>
> I am also toying with the notion of a spotting scope, and Pentax has an
> eyepiece adapter that converts their scopes to a 780mm or 1000mm f/12 K-mount
> lens. But, again, the reviews put Pentax spotting scopes toward the bottom of
> the list. Anyone here with experience with this class of product?
>
> Any information, opinions (informed or otherwise), pointers to good web
> resources, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Stan, I bought a pair of Pentax DCF SP 8x43 binoculars which were in your price
range several years ago and have found them very satisfactory.  I did some web
research and found a site with useful info and reviews:
http://www.birdwatching.com/index.html

I didn't buy from that site; found the model I wanted for less at another
online store.

Regards, Jim
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
- Mark Twain