On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:22:00AM -0600, steve harley wrote:
> On 2011-04-18 08:26 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> >I was at the camera shop on Saturday and spent some time evaluating a
> >Leica M8. Yeah, yeah, the red dot costs a fortune. What appealed to me
> >was its stark simplicity: everythiing on the camera enables, motivates
> >you to concentrate on the subject and the task at hand, not fuss with
> >camera settings or optional feature configurations. Why is such a tool
> >for the photographer exclusive to those whose pay grade is several
> >stratospheric levels higher than mine? Can it really be that expensive
> >to build a simpler camera without all the fluffy stuff?
>
> i don't really follow Leica, but i expect all of the below has been
> said before:
>
> under current market conditions, one appeal? to a much wider
> audience by including the fluffy stuff; some of the fluffy stuff
> actually addresses niche needs, and a lot of the fluffy stuff is
> cheap to include (so one challenge is to include fluff without
> alienating refined users)
>
> so fluff ==> economies of scale
>
> Leica probably also avoids competing on price to keep profit margins high

There's also a fairly limited market for cameras priced at $5000 and above.
About the only people Leica would compete with if they introduced a cheaper
model would be themselves, so they have no incentive to do so.

Anyone other than Leica trying to sell into that marketplace would have a
hard time selling enough cameras for it to be a worthwhile business, even
if they could manufacture and sell the a system at a significantly lower
price.  They still wouldn't be able to sell to the non-trivial chunk of
the market place who wouldn't buy a better camera at half the price if
it didn't have the cachet of that little red dot.