Ann, I've found it best to select a manual WB. I usually have mine set to Cloudy or Daylight. Then you just select a more appropriate WB during PP. Sometimes I shoot something gray in the room (backs of many keyboards are good) so I can use the LR (ACR) magic eyedropper later.

But if you can count the number of photons bouncing around the room with the fingers on one hand, it's time to take up a collection for a new camera body. I'm still waiting for my K-5 ship to come in. In the meantime, just enjoy the music, maybe take up pencil sketching. Your bad room experience sure sounds like a worst-case scenario -- sorry to hear it.

-bmw