Hi Igor: After reading your email here, I thought of the National Geographic photographer William Albert Allard. I learned about him from the NatGeo video entitled The Photographers. Maybe these shots might spark some ideas. Just a thought. Ignore if not helpful. I think if I was going to shoot dance, which I've never done, I'd want a bit of blur, and I'd want as much ambient light as possible. I'd probably try some 1/20, 1/30, 1/40, 1/50, 1/60 shutter speeds to see what I could get--especially with the good high iso quality of the K-5. Just another thought. Ignore if not helpful. Cheers, Christine

From his blues collection on his web site:
http://www.williamalbertallard.com/collections.php?view=28

From his Italy collection on his web site:
http://www.williamalbertallard.com/collections.php?view=26

His web site:
http://www.williamalbertallard.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Roshchin" <s...@komkon.org>
To: <PDML@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:56 PM
Subject: PESO - Dream Dance

I just came back from the Memorial Day Tango Festival in Denver, Colorado.
So far, I only had time to transfer the photos from the cards to the
desktop computer, and import them into LR.
And it'll take me some time to sort them out.
But I quickly took a brief a look at some "experimental" shots...

I might try to play a bit more with this sort of effect...
I thought this photo is rather interesting (albeit not perfect):
http://komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Mixed-2011/_IR30886.jpg

I used 0.5 s exposure time (ISO-400) and the Metz flash on "A" setting.
I tried the same sort of effect previously, but with less success...
It seems to me that "A" setting of the flash (as opposed to P-TTL)
might work better for this effect, but I don't have a good logical
explanation why.

I'd like to play with shorter exposure times (compensated by higher ISO),
so that the ambient light would still be sufficient, while somewhat
reducing the motion (and *shake*) blur.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

And here is one more funny shot:
http://komkon.org/~igor/PHOTOS/Mixed-2011/_IR30827.jpg