On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 07:08:02PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
> > Daniel J. Matyola
>
> > Cornell researchers analyzed 35 million Flickr photos and discovered
> > that we all shoot the same places?from the same angles:
> >
> > Read more: http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/25-most-photographed-
> > places-on-earth,7308/?wpisrc=newsletter#ixzz1O89YAKwf
> >

> > http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/25-most-photographed-places-on-
> > earth,7308/?wpisrc=newsletter
>
> that's very interesting. I was expecting Paris to be the most photographed
> city, and I was expecting Big Ben to be the most photographed thing in London.

I suspect there's more than a little sampling bias, not least due to
restricting the sample to people who post their travel shots on flickr.

I mean, Portland, Oregon as the 25th most photographed city?  Really?

> What I try to do when faced with one of the standard postcardy places is to
> treat it as just something in the background and try to get people doing
> something interesting as the main point of interest.
>
> The classic example of this, which I try to emulate, is this shot of the Taj
> Mahal by Steve McCurry:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/tankmahal>
> <http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/212/cache/taj-mahal-river-reflection_21246_600x450.jpg>

I agree - that's a great shot.

While it exemplifies the primary advice of the article - find a
different viewpoint - I find many of the examples they supply to
be no significant improvement on the cliche "postcard" shot.
It's hard (in some cases impossible) to see the iconic landmark.
If I go to an exotic locale I want to come back with a photograph
that could only have been taken there, not one that could just as
well been taken within a few miles (or even a few hundred yards)
of my front door.

The most obvious thing I deduce from most of the photographs is that
an in-camera "perspective correction" filter might be a good idea.