> No disrespect was meant. "Madonna and child" is a commonly used title
> for "mother and child" pictures, granted, it's usually one particular
> mother, but madonna just means mother, doesn't it?

madonna means 'my lady', as in Madonna (short form = Mona) Lisa. But a
Madonna & Child would always refer to the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Fruit
of Her Womb. However, I don't see any reason for anyone to get upset about
using the term to refer to the picture, after all mushrooms, toadstools and
assorted fungi and sporey things are also creations of the Good Lord and
deserving of his all-embracing love and the prayers of the faithful, and no
doubt the Holy Mother in her merciful wisdom intercedes for them and other
fruits of the forest floor just as she does for the descendants of
tree-dwelling apes.

I don't imagine Boris was upset about it. I interpreted his comment as
thinking the title was just a bit overblown really.