On 2011-06-03 17:47 , Brian Walters wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:47 -0600, "steve harley"<p...@paper-ape.com>
this is a funny question -- perhaps you don't realize that if you shoot
JPEG, you are *absolutely* handing over the image processing function to
software (in the camera) and unlike RAW, you can never go back to the
master

No - I understand that.  What I meant was, if you batch process a lot of
files, is there any real difference to allowing Photoshop to process the
files rather than letting the camera's software do it.

not sure how Photoshop got mixed in here -- i thought we were talking about "batch processing" as an aspect of importing into Lightroom or Aperture

but in any case the in-camera processing is generally a set of specific presets with few variable settings, and is provided for a market that's generally not as quality-conscious as Photoshop's market; it's also constrained by a chipset that's much less powerful than most computers; by contrast in Photoshop you have more power, several orders of magnitude more options on the processing, and formats that are non-lossy and have much wider dynamic range than 8-bit JPEGs