On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 June 2011 23:23, Matthew Hunt <m...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When you focus at any particular distance one third of the depth of
>>> field (DOF) is between you and the focused distance, the other two
>>> thirds is beyond the focused distance.  Therefore when you focus at
>>> infinity you squander two thirds of your DOF.
>>
>> That's an often-repeated statement, but it's not true. Or rather, it
>> just happens to be true for some focus distances, but is not true in
>> general.
>
> Actually, Matthew, you have it backwards.  My statement is true in
> general but just happens NOT to be true for some focus distances.

I am using "in general" in the mathematical, not colloquial, sense.

Your statement is true for one focal distance. It is wrong, by some
amount, for all other focal distances.

> Lots of formulae get wobbly when they're pushed towards infinity, so I
> won't apologise for this.  When the numbers are single to three or
> four figures the principle holds up.

Did you happen to notice that we're talking about a lens set to
infinity? It's certainly relevant to this discussion.

> From moderately close-up (less than true macro) to near-infinity (but
> measureable) distances the "one third in front, two thirds behind"
> rule is as correct as you'll get.

O RLY?

At 10 feet, for the 135mm lens in question at f/11, the split is 0.48
: 0.52. At 20 feet, the split is 0.46 : 0.54. At 40 feet, the split is
0.43 : 0.57. Those are moderate distances; neither "true macro" nor
infinity.

Only at 88 feet is the split 0.33 : 0.67.

> To make a long story short, my statement is true in general but just
> happens NOT to be true for some focus distances.

No, it's the opposite. It is true at a specific focus distance, namely
1/3 of the hyperfocal distance. It's wrong, to various degrees, at any
other focus distance. The near:far ratio varies continuously from 0 to
1 as the focus distance goes from hyperfocal to 1:1 macro. There's no
reason to pick out a 1/3 : 2/3 split as a "special" value to build a
rule around; it's just one point in the middle.