[...]
> it's tweaked some the wrong way. Fortunately,  one can easily opt out
> of it. No big deal for those who don't suffer from paranoia.
>
> Paul

one of the differences between the USA and Europe is that in Europe the
default must be to opt in to things, not opt out. Otherwise, and I know this
happens in the USA, you find yourself opted in to all sorts of shit against
your wishes.

Hows about if I opt you into the convicted pedo chapter of the Ku Klux Klan?
No worries - if you don't want to be part of it, it's an easy opt-out. Just
get yourself down to Georgia and sign the opt out clause in the membership
books held in each county branch.

More realistically, I get junk telephone calls from the USA, presumably
because someone I bought something from over the internet sold my details,
and I can't get out of it. Over here we have a way of dealing with it but
unfortuntately their writ doesn't extend to the US.

Call that paranoia if you like.

In any case, people who don't want Facebook to analyse their face, can
always replace it with a photo of a mandrill's arse. I'm tempted to join
Facebook just to do that, but I don't think my 'friends' would spot the
difference.