The thing I got from the article was another person who lives in Chicago's view of what's going on and that it is not just Chicago where there's a problem.

From: Paul Stenquist

It's a simplistic explanation. Chicago's gang problems are more a
result of under-enforcement and looking the other way than of "class
warfare." The problem existed long before the rash of foreclosures.
When I taught in Chicago high schools 30 years ago, it was already
fermenting. But no one wanted to get tough with the gangs, they were
coddled. "Disenfranchised youth" was a term kicked around way back
then. No one drew a line in the sand and said, you can't behave that
way. Now they're paying. We're all paying.