On 24 June 2011 12:18, Steven Desjardins <drd1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume the K mount is so that folks who own Pentax DSLRs will
> consider the new camera as a compliment for their current system. The
> lenses will fit and Pentax already makes some good small pancakes.  i
> have the E-P2, and many of the m43 kesnes are bigger than some of
> their Pentax equivalents.

If it's mirrorless but retains the deep register of the original
K-mount then it will have no reason to exist.  You might as well get a
DSLR.

The whole raison d'etre of mirrorless cameras is the short register
distance that allows the design of superior and faster standard to
wide angle lenses in a smaller package.  A big bonus is that they can
mount a huge variety of rangefinder, cine and video sourced lenses as
well as the proprietory lenses.  That can't happen if the register
distance is too long.

Take away those benefits and there's no advantage left.  It won't be
cheaper to purchase (but will be to produce).

To their credit Pentax has succeeded in making pancake lenses as small
as the m43 pancakes.  Imagine how much smaller or faster they could be
if designers were unfettered by an unnecessarily deep camera body.

Also consider the size of the camera/lens combo.  A thinner camera
will always make a smaller package when the lenses are a similar size,
and even when the lenses are a little larger.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)