On 11-06-28 3:16 AM, Brian Walters wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:08 -0400, "Bruce Walker"<bruce.wal...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Seen on an ostensible dog-walk this evening. Dog was unimpressed.

http://goo.gl/hovrC  (Flickr lightbox)
http://goo.gl/fKhhW  (Flickr plain vanilla)

I like that - a simple composition that works.

As an aside, if it wasn't for the title I wouldn't have been sure what
the background is.  Not that it matters - the background works
regardless.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

This is one shot where, if I was really trying to capture more of a literal appearance of the scene, I'd have needed HDR techniques. The stream runs through pretty thick plant cover of trees and bushes, but the late day sun was reflecting off the water at about 45 degrees through a gap straight ahead of my PoV. So there must have been a light range of well over a dozen EV or so when I clicked the shutter.

I toyed with reducing the contrast to better bring out the tonal variations in the water itself, but I preferred emphasizing the curious sparkly lines and stuff in the OOF specular reflections (what can I say, I'm still a sucker for that). But I'm likely to revisit this one and play with other renderings. I think there's a lot of latitude in the image.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you Brian.

-bmw