On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Miserere <miser...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As much as I liked the GXR, it's not what *I* have been waiting
> for...but closer than a DSLR, that's for sure. ...

LOL ... Well, it isn't *quite* what I was waiting for either, but it's close.

My brief for a modern digital camera, sent to Panasonic, Leica, and
Olympus around about 2006, suggested a camera with the following
characteristics:

- about the dimensions and weight of a Leica CL
- an electronically coupled optical rangefinder/viewfinder *
- an articulated, high resolution LCD for configuration/control menus
as well as framing and focusing
- base it on the FourThirds format and sensor technology with 10 to 20 Mpixels
- clean and functional ergonomics ... the right mix of discrete
controls to operate the camera without needing to use menus
- ability to use a high quality set of fast prime lenses in native AF
- ability to use FourThirds mount lenses for both manual and auto
focus via adaptation
- ability to use Leica M-bayonet mount lenses
- price the body at around $1600 MSRP with native prime lenses in the
$500-1500 range depending on focal length and speed.

I articulated a few other things in the brief, but these were the basics.

* I completely missed on the notion of eye-level electronic
viewfinders. My thought was to incorporate a built-in tunnel-optical
coincident rangefinder, Leica M style but with coupling via
electronics rather than mechanical cams and frame lines for the four
most common FoVs (equivalent ultra-wide (24-28), wide (35-40), normal
(50), portrait tele (75-85)). Provide add-on optical viewfinders
beyond that specific for focal lengths outside that range. Leica M
lenses with mechanical RF cams would operate the optical RF through a
variable resistor setup, the native prime lenses and the FourThirds
SLR lenses would be driven through the E-system existing electronic
protocol for focus and aperture control.

My thought was that this new class of "compact professional electronic
rangefinder" would not obsolete SLRs, it would be a new class of
electronic camera to use alongside the SLRs when compactness, quiet
operation and light weight were a priority. My bias to prime lenses in
the relatively constrained range easily encompassed by an optical
finder with framelines is obvious ... I figured that for the SLR
system's bulky zoom lenses, people would naturally opt for the SLR
anyway as they balance better with larger bodies.

Anyway, the mirrorless development was already well underway at that
point by all indications, whether anything in my brief was useful to
anyone at the companies I sent it to is questionable at best. They
went with EVFs instead of optical finders ... for sound reasons ...
and as good as modern EVFs are getting to be, I still generally prefer
optical tunnel and pro-grade SLR viewfinders for a lot of work. A high
quality, high resolution LCD is superb for focusing and framing in
other circumstances (think landscape, table top, macro, etc.) and an
EVF adds the eye level handling back to the LCD notion.

Where all this goes in the future I am eager to see. I am very
interested to see what Olympus new E-P3 line works like, the GXR's
M-bayonet camera module will expand that camera's versatility and
domain by a lot (and manual focus M-bayonet lenses should solve the
one negative I find with the Ricoh ... that the focus servo
responsiveness of the two current A12 camera modules is inadequate to
accurate manual focusing, it's really an AF and 'focus by zone' camera
with the current camera modules).

What Leica brings to the electronic interchangeable lens compact I'm
eager to see, what Fuji brings ... all good.

My own photography is moving more and more into the realm of "a Leica
M and two/three good lenses will do me fine." And depending on how
money and work pan out in the months ahead, I might just do that and
keep my lovely old Olympus E-1 with the two macro lenses around purely
for the table-top work I do. But that's another meditation to write
another day.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com