On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:42 AM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem with the M mount module, is that it breaks the whole
> concept behind the system.  Matching the sensor to the lens.  ...

I see that as only part of the concept, not the primary thrust.

The GXR system concept allows the creation of a truly compact system
with a broad range of field of view options, all of them very compact,
that is also expandable to other purposes and uses. You can keep the
"camera system" base concept compact via juggling sensor size, matched
to focal length, to keep everything in a light and pocketable package,
but you can also expand the system beyond that.

The M mount module is referred to as a "camera expansion unit" ...
it's an alternative to a full standard A12-type camera unit but with a
focal plane shutter and a lens mount, permitting expansion of the
system into new domains for those to whom that is a desirable system.
Just like some the other concept prototype expansion units (hard
drive, pocket printer, remote submersible camera, etc).

That's the real reason for the modular concept and why it's worth the
effort: the ability to repurpose a good control and storage unit (the
body) to serve many different functions (camera and expansion units)
well. The GXR system is not just one thing ... it's a modular system
which can be tailored to several things depending upon what's
important to you. For some, a GXR kit might be a body with P10
35-300mm camera unit for when they want a point and shoot, plus an
M-lens module and a couple of lenses when they want full manual
control and lens versatility. For others, other more diverse options,
or fewer.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com