On 11-07-17 11:52 AM, Christine Nielsen wrote:
Hi Dario,

Thanks for your many replies!  :)

I think you were on track in your first reply -- it was still very
bright out, and the camera, set to AV, wanted a fast shutter speed
(1/500 +), even at ISO 200.  After my first shot, I smacked my
forehead and realized high speed synch would be the way to go...but
then I still had problems... I suppose I could have stopped down some
more, but I was afraid of loosing a nicely-blurred background...

Sometimes you need to slap on an ND filter to reduce the ambient by a few stops so you can keep your wide open aperture.

-bmw