> And digital is perfect?
> Actually, in the real world, what rules is the media that the artist
> feels most comfortable working with. This may be digital, it may equally
> be oil paint or macrame.
>
> William Robb

What 'digital' has done is put the entire range of the photographic
process (capture through final image processing) within reach of the
ordinary person. It's opened up the world of artistry to many more
people who otherwise were/would have been constrained to mostly
'capture-time photography'.

Many, if not most people interested in photography did not have the
funds, space, or time to devote to a wet darkroom. The digital
darkroom is easily obtainable and justifiable, taking up far less
space and costing less money, and it doesn't have the continued
consumable expense, aside from paper if/when printing. OK, occasional
hardware/software upgrades.

Before DSLR's, when I bought Photoshop 3.0 and a film scanner in the
mid-90's, a whole new side of photography began to emerge. I wasn't
just limited to the locked-in post-capture image on the slide or
negative. The combination of digital capture and post-processing has
improved my output considerably and I've gone from the belief that my
1st generation slide image was the ultimate, to believing that the
ultimate image is achieved through post-capture fine-tuning and
adjustment prior to displaying in whatever form. That, in retrospect,
while a long journey, has been liberating. (I am woman hear me roar).

I don't particularly like sitting in front of a computer adjusting
images either (as opposed to being out seeing and capturing images).
The learning curve with complex software tools can seem overwhelming
at times, but I can imagine I far prefer it to standing in a darkroom
for hours on end, messing with smelly chemicals, and suffering the
aggravation of irrecoverably destroying a good potential image or
having to redo processes over and over because I didn't get it quite
right (all the while my eyeballs drying up and scaling over for lack
of light). It's akin to the advantages of using a word processing
program and spell checker as opposed to a typewriter ribbon, paper,
and correcting fluid.

I didn't know you like macrame...

Tom C.