On 22 October 2011 04:37, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

> I suspect that photography is an art from that attracts people who like
> things mechanical.  Maybe it's just the high percentage of Y chromosomes, or
> maybe something about photography attracts gear heads.  Walt's recent post
> has prompted several people to talk about their bikes, but I bet almost every
> one on this list has a camera, and most of you know how to use it.  So, how
> about posting photos of your bikes?
>
> I suspect that there are some interesting ones owned by the members of the
> PDML.
>
> --
> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est

I know I'm late with this, but better late than never...  I'm a bit
obsessed with my bikes, as you will no doubt pick up from this email.
:-)

Here's my trio.  They're all heavily modified, but all work well for me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118019465978120155275/MyBikes?authkey=Gv1sRgCPLs4ays7pTp6QE#5671320279138785058

The Giant is the newest, and replaces an old tourer (20+ year-old
Apollo - Aussie brand) that developed too many cracks to continue.
It's not a tourer per-se, but it does what I want - general riding
duties, day rides with my wife, and the odd overnight trip (with a
better rear rack that actually takes panniers...).  This was a real
upright ride - I'm not used to that, as you'll see from the other 2
bikes.  It's ok now - saddle and bars are level and I can handle that.
 It's also my first disc-braked bike, and I'm yet to be convinced disc
brakes are all they're made up to be.

The Felt was raced in summer criteriums until June last year when I
didn't have enough time to train properly.  It might get back into
that in the new year, now that I've settled in to the new town and
have some time to train.  Alternatively it will get used in some audax
rides (with appropriate modifications).  This also gets commuting use
in good weather when I take the long way home.

The Cell is a recent addition, and was used as a fixie commuter till I
got sick of the fixie in Melbourne traffic, so it's now a freewheel.
This is my all-weather commuter - the 40km round trip to work is fun
on this.  It's heavy but extremely stable and gives a good workout.

There's also a Redline Monocog 26" single-speed MTB in the garage, but
it's got a puncture and has been that way for a bit over a year now.
Shoulders and elbow aren't the same after multiple falls in BMX
racing, so I doubt this will get appropriate use.  But I can't bring
myself to sell it...

There are also 5 other bikes in the garage - my wife has 2 (flat-bar
roadie and a "tourer"), and my daughter has 3 - carbon roadie, alloy
roadie and a commuter.  And this is AFTER I cleaned out before we
moved!

Regards,

Pete Mac in Melbourne