Here in Iceland the laws are similar to most of Northern Europe (I think). In general, you can take pictures in public spaces wherever you want, but displaying them is another matter. You'll need consent from all people that are "prominent" in your photographs with few exceptions, most notably journalism.

In practice there is very little street photography done here, as the market for photos of grim-faced pedestrians trying to hurry out of the wind and rain (or snow) is rather limited. Leisurely shopping and visiting coffee shops is done in shopping malls, which are privately owned and generally don't allow photography.

I've read articles on Street Photography in England, where supposedly photographers would rather take candid photographs of strangers on beaches or along the seaside in the summer, because people were much more relaxed there than in the cities. That pretty much sums it up for my country as well.

Thrainn

Þann 29.11.2011 18:06, skrifaði Thibouille:
The teacher asked to do some work about a legal issue concerning legal
rights of photographs use.
As he showed us a couple short movies on the topic and because I
believe that street shooting is indeed a fundamental of photography,
I'd like to know:

* the status of street shooting in your country, both on a legal and a
practical point of view (I know that often things are permitted but
some zealot thinks you shouldn't be allowed to no matter what the law
is) ?
* did the status of street shooting in your country change in recent
years (I'd say recent being last 15 years till today) ?
* would you say there's a tendency to restrict photographer's rights
in your country and why/how ?

This doesn't need to be huge answers, really. But if you have any
legal reference in your mind, please do so :)

I just can't check legal status in 30 different countries myself, but
I'm very interested (and somewhat concerned) about this.

Thank you for your cooperation :)