From: Doug Franklin

On 2012-01-08 13:24, AlunFoto wrote:
A bit unfair to say "no hard drives", I think, but I see your point.

Sorry, I just meant that didn't include the cost of any "real" hard
drive capacity, since you're bringing over drive you already have.

Reason I wanted to go with a larger PSU is that I plan to add a second
graphics card (in addition to the RAID disks + an eSATA bay).

850W PSU is enough for two nVidia 560ti cards with the setup you're
discussing and a bit of headroom.  1200 is overkill.  You shouldn't need
water cooling for this setup unless you're planning to overclock it.

So John S... Listen to Doug. He's the sensible one here...

Don't get me wrong!  I'd build a dual quad-core (or six-core) setup with
64GB of RAM and a pair of nVidia 580 video boards in a heartbeat, if I
had that much money lying around doing nothing.

I don't think of it as "money lying around doing nothing"; more like I've been saving up a little bit at a time for almost a year now so I won't have to put any of it on a credit card.

Interest on savings SUX, but not as much as PAYING interest on a credit card.