Thanks Jeffry, Frank, Cory, David, Christine, Dan and Ken for your comments.
The kitten was sleeping near my desk, I liked the light falling across her, and
the way she had her head resting on the one outstretched paw, so I picked up
the camera sitting near at hand. The shutter sound (K20D) for the first shot
woke her, so the next three frames involved trying to maintain her attention
without inducing the usual frenetic kitten behavior. I maybe coulda/shoulda
stopped long enough to raise the ISO a notch or two to allow for more DOF, but
oh well. It did turn out to be a good portrait of her.

BTW, in the quote from my original message below I have inserted the word
"seen" to clarify/correct the original.

stan