A travel/adventure writer, Bill Bryson, has done a series of books including
hitchhiking in Europe, through-hiking the Appalachian Trail, and traveling
through Australia. I thought the Australia book was a good read. I particularly
enjoyed his description of Canberra, and having read it I was spared a shock;
Canberra is unlike any other city you are ever likely to visit. I was in
Canberra briefly, Sunday evening through Thursday morning, at the tail end of a
working trip that included stops in (and PDML meetings in) Adelaide, Melbourne,
and Sydney. I think Canberra is worth the trip for the art museum alone, the
tour of the Parliament building was an added extra. Don't expect any nightlife!
And there is always a time-distance and travel-mode tradeoff; Canberra: a) was
built for cars; and b) was situated a long way from Melbourne, Sydney, and
anything else of importance in the country. Se getting there and getting around
may cost more time than you are willing/able to spend.

stan