On Feb 23, 2012, at 2:29 PM, Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

> Looks like my choice of the K-r for a commercial environment was not
> well-considered.  Initially I was going to be shooting cleaned parts.  But as
> time has gone on the situation has changed.  Now I'm handling parts that are
> still covered in tranny fluid.  And that has migrated to the camera.  A major
> frustration.  Some contamination has occurred -- probably transfer from my
> thumb to the camera controls.  The wheel/dial now goes only up, never down,
> in value.  So tomorrow it is going off to Pentax for (warranty) service.  In
> the mean time I'm going to dig up a K-5 (with extended warranty) for the main
> body and relegate the K-r to backup status.
>
> I wish all camera functions could be controlled remotely, on a keypad built
> for a harsh environment.  Might be a great commercial solution ...

You could probably do a bit with ziplock bags, clear packing tape, screen
protectors or some variation of the above.
I'd also recommend picking up an IR shutter release, and maybe some latex
gloves for when you're handling parts.

What's the difference between a Surgeon and a mechanic?
The surgeon washes his hands *after* he pees.