Theo -

My impression is that either would be sharp enough.

This isn't advice, I'm just thinking about some questions and variables.

The planes are moving fast and low.  Will you be close enough to the
action to make the zoom useful as they move from far to near back to
far away.

If you're shooting prop planes you won't be using extremely high
shutter speeds.  Nothing looks worse than a plane in the air with a
frozen propeller.

Are you shooting hand held or on a tripod?

Do either of the lenses work well with a teleconverter?

Which one has better autofocus?  If that's important to you.

I'm thinking some of these things might be as important or more
important than the difference in focal length.

Just some thoughts.  Given that you've shot air shows in the past,
you've probably already thought about this stuff.

gs

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com
www.georgesphotos.net