On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 04:59:35PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2012, at 8:43 AM, mike wilson wrote:
>
> > On 05/03/2012 15:45, David Parsons wrote:
> >> That defeats the purpose of using Google products in the first place.
> >> I use the history to find websites or pages that I may want to refer
> >> back to that I may not have bookmarked.  And since it's a web based
> >> service, it works on all computers that I've logged onto.
> >
> > It defeats (to some extent) Google using information it gathers from and
> > about me for its own purposes, when I use some of their products.  At best
> > Google (and some other companies) is like one of those friends that you see
> > infrequently and, when you do, they try to sell you something or get you to
> > invest in some just-this-side-of-legal scheme.  As such, I will either not
> > use those products or exercise this right.
> >
> > I'm sure Google is orders of magnitude more important to me than I am to it
> > but, if push came to shove, I could manage perfectly well without it.
>

> Just out of curiosity, what harm comes to you from Google, or anyone else,
> collecting this information?

Yep.  I mean, it's not as if you avoid ads splashed all over your screen.
And if I'm going to be bombarded with ads, I'd rather see ads for products
or services that I might be interested in than just random selections.

So I see ads for TiVos, or ASUS tablets, or Olympus cameras, or generic
Allegra.  My wife sees Coldwater Creek and Audiobooks on her computer.

So Google do us a service by filtering out ads we care nothing about. If
this allows them to charge a higher ad rate for their services I'm not
particularly bothered.