On 3/14/2012 8:32 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: "John Coyle"

I started with blue flash-bulbs in 1967. They had a long burn time (1/40 to 1/60 second) with a rapid climb to full output, then an even peak output followed by rapid drop-off at the end of the burn. The 'M' setting on the camera I was using at the time (a Voigtlander Vito CD) was what you used for these bulbs, although the camera also had an 'X' setting
for them new-fangled electronic flashes.
The settings ensured that the shutter opened first, then the flash fired. The shutter speed had to be set at 1/30 or slower, so that the flash output occurred while the shutter was fully open, otherwise you'd get a black bar at one side or the other, where the film was unexposed. Aperture was calculated from the guide number of the flash and the speed of the film, and I found I could seldom close down beyond f8, even at 400 ASA. The bulbs were coated with a blue substance to match the colour temperature of noon daylight, so
fill-in flash was possible.
There was a third shutter setting option, FP ('flash-peak'), which would allow the use of bulbs designed for focal-plane shutters, and these you could use at speeds from 1/30th upwards to 1/1000th, although I never had a camera with that facility until I got a Rolleicord, where you could use the 'V' setting to fire the flash at any speed - basically
because the shutter was a between-lens type.
Open to correction on some of the technicalities, it's been a long time since I had to
think about such matters!

I think the M-sync fired the bulb first and then opened the shutter.

FP sync did that, the standard luminance chart for FP bulbs shows a sharp spike which then trails off at a relatively constant light out put for quite some time afterwords, I tried to find an image of that chart but couldn't. Just imagine a chart of these arbitrary numbers

Flash fires  -->  0  1  15 20 15 14 14 14 14 13 13 13 12 11 9 7 5 3 1 0

The shutter opens when the value drops to 15 to insure that the film is relatively evenly exposed. That's what FP bulbs were all about.

M sync the shutter begins to open then the flash fires (on a leaf shutter before the shutter is fully open, but on a focal plane shutter after the shutter is fully open to capture as much of the light as possible.

The chart for M bulbs is more like this

Flash fires -> 0 1 15 20 15 10 5 3 2 1

--
Don't lose heart!  They might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthily search.