From: "knarftheria...@gmail.com" <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
To: ""Pentax-Discuss Mail List"" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: OT - Online critics

I have lots of problems with this guy and his photos.

Let me start by saying that I don't know what "art" is, but when the word
"fine" is put in front of it, it usually ain't.

My biggest problem is that everything is larger than life. His descriptions of
the hardships he endures to get the perfect photo, his description of the
photos and the photos themselves. It's all hyper-real, more than I can take.

Plus, he used the word "zen" apparently without irony. Need I say more?

I know that we all bump up the saturation a bit for a beautiful sunset or
whatever. But this guy is way ott.

I won't mention names because I'm bound to forget someone, but there are a
dozen or more photographers here whose landscapes blow this guy out of the
water. What he's doing isn't bad but it's not great either.

It strikes me that he's pandering to his audience (said audience no doubt
determined by a market survey) and when that happens often "art" somehow gets
lost along the way.

His stuff (to me) is the photographic equivalent of velvet paintings of clowns
and puppies with big eyes, Andre Rieux or Nora Roberts.

Or Thomas Kinkaid.

Cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens