Sounds like you're trying to access the quick function menu. On the K20D and k10 you press the function button to activate that menu.. If you have the K5 set up in the default configuration in the custom menu the four way controller defaults to navigating that menu. If you have the controller set to change the focus points as the default I think you have to press the OK button first to access those items.